Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A New Art

A few weeks ago I came across a recipe for Chili con carne from my mother's collection. I didn't get to try it until last Friday morning when I made it for a wedding shower. It took about 30-45 to get the ingredients assembled and ready to simmer. The directions called for one hour of simmering. It came out pretty good! But when I got home my Dad commented on how he didn't get any of the chili. So I decided, since it was rather easy to prepare, to make it again for this week for my lunches. I set some aside for my Mom and Dad to try. They loved it! I actuallly like it much more than last time because it was less watery and therefore more rich in flavor. Yum! I had it simmer for 1.5 hours and that made all the difference. I used only one can of kidney beans the second time, despite the recipe calling for 3 cans. Way too many kidney beans in my opinion, but there isn't an indication of what size can. I told my co-worker about my success and she said that she would like to try it. So I brought in extra and 3 co-workers tried it and all of them thought it was delicious. I love when I have successes like this! I'm thinking of entering a chili cook off sometime. Chili is somewhat of an art i think with the ways in which you can be creative with it. Also, I am excited to experiment and make it my own. It is great to keep a family recipe alive. Now to think up that secret ingredient...


Here's the recipe after my changes:
Chili Con Carne
Saute: 2 medium onions, 8 cloves of garlic 2-3 tbsps of extra virgin olive oil
Add: 1 lb hamburger (cook lightly)
1/2 c. catsup
1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
2 tbsps of chili powder
1 can of kidney beans

Simmer for 1.5 hours stirring periodically and draining excess liquid

No comments:

Post a Comment